Wednesday, March 16, 2011

working mom

Craig and I were switching roles last week. I had 4 days of sub assignments, and he used a vacation day to take Lynn to the orthodontist, and to help get ready for my twins club sale this weekend. It feels strange,giving him my questions for the appointment, and wondering how it went. Lately he has also taken a day to go to the pediatrician and to stay home with a sick child. He has worked at the same company for 10 years, so he has vacation time built up. Lately i've gotten a lot of calls, but that's no guarantee for the future. If I have the opportunity to work, then I need to take it. Friday, I had an appointment with my optomotrist, and taking things to the sale in the afternoon. I also turned down 3 job assignments for that day. It's gone from wondering when I will work, to a question of do I want to... for next year, should i apply for a full time job at the school?

I've eased into it this year, substitute teaching a day here, a day there since all my kiddos are in school now. It was nice to have the flexibility. I was home with Ray for a week this fall with what turned out to be pnemonia. But after going over finances, and looking ahead to those braces x3, we realized that our income needed to increase. There was no where to cut back. Having weekends and evenings as a family is important to us. With 3-8 year olds, and a 6 year old, there is no older sibling to watch over them in the summer. Working on their school schedule makes the most sense for us.

I went online and looked at a map of schools in our area, and decided to apply to work in the next county. I immediatly started getting calls at the middle school and high school. Actually I've worked every day for the last 2 weeks. I've basically stumbled into being a full time working mom. It's an adjustment for the kids riding the bus. Craig can walk them to the corner before heading to his job. Fortunately their grandparents live in our district, so the kids can take the bus to their house after school. With 4 of them to pick up, the booster seats wouldn't fit into grandma's car. Often I get there close to the time that they do, sometimes before. They love spending time with grandma, but they also complain that the bus ride is long and boring. It's not an easy balance. Leah told me that she wasn't feeling well at school, but she stayed because she knew I was working that day. That broke my heart. I told her that our family always comes first, that either me or her dad would come if she needed us. Just last night, after i got a call to work today, Lynn asked "why do you need to work when daddy already does?"

I get their comb and braid their hair before they eat breakfast, and most days they aren't even out of their pajamas before I go. I think that matters more to me than it does to them. They would be just as happy with a ponytail instead of french braids. I like it though, taking care of them, sending them out into the world looking pretty. After school is just busier. Then when we get home, I still have all those things left to do that didn't get done during the day. In some ways it's like when they were toddlers, and taking care of them was my job. Any errands that needed done waited until their dad was home, or the weekend.

I think this is going to work for us. It is just going to take some more planning. Doing as much as I can ahead so there isn't such a crunch between homework and dinner. I've always been more go with the flow, so this is a change for me. Everyone says how much they love their crockpot, but i barely use mine. I can do a basic pot roast, and a shredded chicken, what are you having for dinner? i would love to hear your favorite crockpot recipie....

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jen-great to hear that subbing is working out for you, I did it for three years and really enjoyed it. My advice is to work as much as you can and be glad for those calls; when summer arrives and that extra income disappears completely for awhile, or for the slow times, you'll be glad you did. I've been hearing about your upcoming trip to Disney from Amy-I know you guys are going to have a great time! We went four years and ago and look forward to planning another trip in the future, when Trinity is older (she's 2). I think going when she is Ray's age would be great-Tristan will be a teenager and we will be able to split up-maybe even get some Mommy and Pop alone time as he can stay with the younger two. Having three of my own and also doing the daycare business where I am often getting my daycare children ready for school or the day, I really relate to your stories of getting everyone ready. Someday they will all be grown and we will be looking for new things to be busy with, so I'm trying to see the mundane routine things of parenting as a joy for this season. Blessings to you and your family as you move into this new phase as working mom! with love-Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen, I will look through my crockpot recipes and bring some down for you to try. I am glad subbing is going so well. How did the twin club sale go?
    Maybe the kids could take a book to read on the bus or a puzzle book. Sometimes there are compromises to be made, and I am sure the kids will survive a school bus ride so don't let it get you down. You can tell them that Gramdma Alice rode the bus from first grade all the way through high school, and their poor Mom had WALK home from school sometimes.
    Thanks for posting on Facebook that you had a new entry on your blog! Looking forward to seeing you Easter weekend. It is coming up fast. I guess I better get planning. Is Easter Sunday lunch good for you? We usually have it at Jimmy's but I am flexible. I haven't heard what Amy's schedule is yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen,
    I love your post. I road the school bus all 12 years. It was about 45 minutes each way -every day. There were a few days the last year when I got to drive a car to school. It can bee boring but it can also be fun watching for trees to leaf out, fields to be worked, crops to grow. Are there any horses along the route. Etc. Life happens every day along the route. Their eyes need to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we have 8 adults and 4 kids going to disney this summer, so for once we will have them outnumbered. we've never been so they are really excited. the girls have been picking guide books for bedtime stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. since they have been taking the bus to grandma's so often, they have assigned seats now. ray sits with another kindergartner from his class, and they both fell alseep on the bus. his freind is actually the last one off.

    ReplyDelete