Wednesday, March 2, 2011

what are you reading wednesday

I've decided to give my blog another try, and introduce a book review each Wednesday. On other days, i will also include my view as a parent of triplets plus one. Today is March 2, National Read Across America day, also Theo Geisel's birthday. Even though he passed away in 1991,most children can recite at least part of one of his 44 children's books from memory. He is better known under his pen name, Dr.Suess.

I was a junior in high school when he died, and our teacher asked us to bring our favorite book in to read in class. I remember one student, the youngest in a family of 4, bringing in a book she didn't know the title of because it was so well loved that the cover had fallen off. My personal favorite is one of his longer works, "The 500 hats of Bartholomew Cubbins." Just this week, my 6 year old brought "Green Eggs and Ham" into the kitchen to read, not me to him, but him to me.

I love that I am raising the new generation of readers, even in this electronic age. I found it interesting that Dr. Suess started writing children's books from a list of vocabulary words,to educate, not only to entertain. I have always been a huge reader myself. Growing up, we were always allowed a half-hour to read before lights out. I tend towards fiction:classics, best sellers, sci-fiction,fantasy. I also read novels geared towards adults, teens, or children. I must confess that even tough i am 37, i have read and enjoyed all of the Harry Potter series, and the Twilight series. I like to know what my kids are reading. As a substitute teacher, I'm curious about the books the students are studying, and what they are reading during their free moments. I am also keep a paperback or 2 in my bag for those odd moments in my own day.
I plan to pass along my recommendations, and i would love to hear yours as well. To start it off, which book by Dr. Suess is your favorite and why? i would encourage you to go back and read it again, out loud, simply for the joy in the rhythm of the words.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I didn't get here quicker. I was downloading some e books and suddenly remembered you blog. I had to think long and hard about my favorite Dr. Suess book. On students often asked me to read was The Cat in the Hat. I have always enjoyed Green Eggs and Ham too because of the change from " Iwon't eat in on and all the things he wouldn't eat it on" to I like to eat green eggs and ham. Hop on Pop was won I introduced in beginning reading because the use of short vowels made it so easy for beginning readers to sound out. I plan to go back and look up a listing of all the titles of Dr. Suess. I am sure there are some favorites out there that I enjoyed but forgot he was the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. life has been crazy and I haven't had a chance to comment before now...
    Dr Suess is a favorite around here... Before Kayle was even a glimmer of hope, we subscribed to the Scholastic Early Reader series which came with all the Dr Suess books :) I wanted to have the books in the house when kids came to visit...
    one of Kayle's early favorites was " Hand Hand Finger Thumb" She loved the way Daddy read it with a heavy rhythm.
    I think my favorites are " Happy Birthday to you" and " Horton hatches and egg"
    Happy Birthday to you is so quirky and fun, Horton is a favorite because he is so committed to the egg :)

    ReplyDelete